Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Heart to Heart - World Alzheimer's Day

I've been reading Carolyn King's blog (Cammie) for some time now, and find her to be a very talented artist. She has designed stamps sets for GinaK Designs and is featured in magazines all the time. She recently posted on her blog that she lost her grandmother to Alzheimer's disease. She designed a stamp set for GinaK Designs called Whimsical Autumn, of which she is donating 100% of the proceeds to the Alzheimer's Association. I felt an immediate connection to Cammie, as my father died of Alzheimer's in 1994 at the age of 73. He was diagnosed when he was 65 and my mom was his caregiver for many years until she was no longer able to care for him. We were fortunate that the Veteran's Administration hospital took care of him for the last six years of his life. This was a terrible loss to our family as my dad was a great man...intelligent, funny, and a walking sports encyclopedia! He is missed more and more each day as our family grows and they miss out on knowing such a great man.

When I saw what Cammie was doing, I immediately bought the stamp set and emailed her about my dad. She sent a very nice message back to me. Now, she is hosting a HUGE blog candy give away. You can read about it here. I felt like I needed to enter this contest, so here is my card. The stipulation for entering the contest was that you had to make a card for someone who is or was a caregiver and send it to them. Obviously this is going to my mom.

I used Cammie's Whimsical Autumn and SU's new Autumn Vine dp. It will be available in the Holiday mini beginning October 1. I used four of the designs on this card. I used SCS Sketch Challenge #194 for the layout. It really allowed me to use up and showcase a lot of the dp! I colored the main image with copic markers and added the antique faux brads (something I picked up at Michael's jewelry section on sale). The sentiment is from PTI's Out on a Limb and is perfect..."Everyday is a gift". We should all live by that motto!

Take a peek at Cammie's blog candy giveaway and enter if you can. Thanks for stopping by and reading my story.

Recipe
Stamps: Whimsical Autumn, Out on a Limb
Paper: Chocolate Chip, whisper white, Autumn Vine dp
Ink: Adirondack Espresso, copic markers
Accessories: faux brads, mini glue dots, dimensionals

2 comments:

Cindy Haffner said...

So lovely, TFS.

LeAnne said...

I LOVE this paper and how you used the sketch to showcase it! I made my card with that same image! I love the sentiment you put with it. Ah, to have all the PTI sets! Twould be heaven!
LeAnne

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin