Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sympathy for a Friend

I received sad news last week that the mother of a childhood friend passed away. The family still lives down the street from my mom, but I rarely got to see them over the last 15 years or so (you know what happens when you are busy making a living...you forget to make a life!). Aunt Norma, as we all called her, was a wonderful woman. She always loved having all the neighborhood kids in her pool and playing kickball in her yard in the summer or in her basement playing the multitude of games she bought for her son and daughter, Matty and Nancy. We will miss all these people as they leave us as they remind us of our childhood frivolities and the ease of being a child. So different today!

Anyway, here's the card I'm sending to the family. I actually got my inspiration from this card done by Frances, or Stamp Owl on SCS. I bought the stamp and put the card in my favorites to use as inspiration someday. I colored the Penny Black flower with watercolor crayons, sprayed it with water (well actually it was my stamp cleaner...I thought I had the water bottle!), and stamped on the cardstock. The sympathy sentiment was stamped over it. I love this stamp...such a pretty font and beautiful sentiment. The dp is Basic Grey's Stella Ruby. I paired it with So Saffron and a cuttlebugged piece of Always Artichoke. I used some of the retired Purely Pomegranate satin ribbon that I am hoarding! A simple card, but elegant I think. The colors are much softer IRL. Well, that's all for today. I'm getting ready for my class on Friday. We are doing Christmas cards and I have some real pretty ones to share later. I cased some, but changed them up a bit. I hate designing cards when I'm under pressure, so I get a little help from my friends (are you singing that Beatles song now?). Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Recipe
Stamps: Penny Black (flower), Paper Inspirations (sentiment)
Paper: So saffron, always artichoke, purely pomegranate, white, Basic Grey Stella Ruby
Ink: Adirondack black, SU watercolor crayons
Accessories: Pomegranate satin ribbon (retired), slot punch, cuttlebug diamond folder, dimensionals

3 comments:

LeAnne said...

Love this! I love that Stella Ruby paper, and this sentiment and background image is perfect. I am glad I am not the only one who does booboos like spray her stamp with cleaner instead of water! Whatever you did, it rocked! Sorry you had to make it for a sad occasion, though.
LeAnne

Cheryl said...

Such a beautiful card and sweet memories! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your card. Looking forward to seeing your class samples!

diane zechman said...

very pretty Lisa! I have that flower too! Holy cow, it's 10:30 pm and the UPS truck just came as I'm typing. That's a long day! LOL.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin