Saturday, November 14, 2015

Just Us Girls #319 - Trend Week

Hi friends!  It's trend week over at Just Us Girls, and Maria chose watercoloring.  It's so popular in blogland and a perfect challenge for us this week.
 
This is the second week in a row that I made a sympathy card.  The mother of our very good friend passed away this week, and today is actually the funeral.  So here I was making another sympathy card for this challenge.
 
The salon where I get my nails done has this painting hanging on the wall that I always admire.  I've thought several times that I should watercolor a panel like it.  Here's a picture of that painting.

And here's my interpretation of it.  I found what I thought was the perfect image.  I didn't have a good brown ink that I could use to stamp and emboss, so using my Misti, I stamped the image in chocolate chip then overstamped it in Versamark.  Then I was able to emboss it with clear powder and begin watercoloring.  I started with the blues and then the yellows.  I am over the moon about how this came out!  I watch so many videos on creating backgrounds like this, but always seem to fail at it!  The last thing I did was use a white gel pen to color in the berries and add the sentiment (which is a little crooked!)
 
You can see more inspiration from the JUGs design team and our guest, Louise Hodge, on the JUGs blog.
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Recipe
Stamps:  Berry Bevy (Penny Black), Hero Arts (sympathy)
Paper: Tim Holtz watercolor, recollections white
Ink:  Weathered wood, tumbled glass, stormy sky, scattered straw, rusty hinge distress inks; chocolate chip, Versamark
Accessories:  Clear embossing powder, uniball white gel pen

Photobucket

15 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

Beautiful inspired card! You did an amazing job. I'm sure your friend will appreciate it~

Cheryl said...

Your card is stunning, Lisa! The background is perfect! I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend's mother.

Mac Mable said...

Popped over from the challenge blog to say that I love your card. The background is so striking and the water coloring is beautiful. That berry stamp with the the white gel pen finishes the card off perfectly x Great take on the photo from your hairdressers.x

Barbara said...

Lisa, This is such a striking and stunning card. Love your interpretation of it. My mouth is still open in awe! Beautiful job.

Ina G said...

Beautiful interpretation of that photo with such an amazing background. Great finish with the gel pen.

Sue VanDeVusse said...

This is amazing! You definitely captured that painting with this beauty. It is so serene and comforting and a lot of love went into this as well.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Wow! This is breathtaking. What a beautiful card.

Nancy said...

FABULOUS card Lisa! Love that painting and boy did you nail it! I know your friend will love this card and it will bring her comfort!

Maria said...

Wow! Beautiful! This is awesome! Your inspiration piece was wonderful and you interpreted it wonderfully!

Gerrina said...

Your card is so stunning! Love the colours, the branche and the watercolouring! Hugs, Gerrina

Bobby said...

This is beautiful, Lisa. I have been wanting to do something like this and this has inspired me to give it a try.

Louise said...

Such a beautiful card, love the background the colors blend so perfectly together

Chris Dring said...

FANTASTIC case of that picture! OMG, this is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Stunning! A beautiful work of art :)

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

I was looking through the watercolor creations on JUGS, and I just had to come over and tell you haw absolutely GORGEOUS your card is. Such a fabulous interpretation of the original - I like it even better. Using the white gel pen was genius. Perfect for a sympathy card. Curious as to whether you sponged first then wet the paper, or what. if you don't mind sharing, I'd love to try casing your beauty with a similar Penny Black image. Stephanie slan.zal@verizon.net

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin