Monday, October 1, 2012

My Time Made Easy Release Day - Ribbon of Awareness

Hi there friends!  Today is release day at My Time Made Easy and this post is a very emotional one for many of the design team members.  Typically in October we celebrate breast cancer awareness, but today we are celebrating awareness of all types of cancer.  Each of the girls is creating with this new template called I Support You in a color that touches each of their hearts.  When we were chiming in about the color we were using and the reasons for using that color, we were amazed at how many of us were touched by this terrible disease at some point in our lives.

I have a very personal connection with this disease.  My only brother, Jim (or Jimmy as we always called him) was afflicted with colon cancer that spread to his liver.  This disease took his life at the tender age of 46.  He left behind three young children.  It will be 15 years this November 20 that he left us.  When I say he was the nicest guy ever, there wouldn't be one person who knew him who would deny that fact.  I miss him terribly and think about him everyday.  He was nine years older than me, but we were very close.

When I looked at the ribbon colors, brown was the color of colon cancer with blue being another color to represent it.  So I combined the two.  This is probably my favorite color combination anyway!

 I created the box from chocolate chip cardstock and then added this retired paper from SU called Parisian Breeze.  It had the brown and blue colors in it I needed.  I tied a blue dotted ribbon around it and added this flower I found in my stash.  It was made by a fellow crafter I met at a stamping event this spring.  I saved it for future use and it was the perfect accent for my bow.

Here's a side view of the box so you can see that it's quite deep.  There are three different options for the center.  You can leave it plain (no opening), cut out the heart like I did here, or cut out an oval.  There is a piece of acetate covering up the hole so your contents stay put!

There is a new digital stamp set to go along with this template called Be Supportive.  There are so many wonderful sentiments included that cover just about any situation.  The ribbon is included in it as well, and I colored it in blue in GIMP and layered this sentiment that was perfect for me when I think about Jimmy.  I cut it out using the new cut file called Homemade Labels.  I layered it onto another larger label in the chocolate chip and added the pearls.  I didn't make a card for this label because I have a special place for this label.

It's going to be sitting on this picture of Jimmy that is on my bay window in my living room directly across from my couch so I can see him.  Love you Jim!

I hope you can stop by the following blogs to see what the other design team members have to share with you.  And I also hope you go to the MTME store and purchase some awesome new products!
Thanks for stopping by and reading about my story.  I hope you have a fabulous day!  Give your loved ones a big hug!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, Lisa, thanks for sharing your story too! Good grief, colon cancer is sooooo incredibly rough, and even rougher for some to talk about. I watched it take thee most incredible guy at my previous work. He kept the best attitude, I was constantly in tears about his strength.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin