Saturday, September 5, 2020

Just Us Girls #552 - Word Week

Hello everyone!  It's Word Week over at Just Us Girls and Sue chose LEAVES.
 
I was so happy to see this as our word for this week's challenge because I had a good reason to use this great die from Honey Bee Stamps.  I did a technique with distress oxide inks and watercolor paper that I haven't done in a while.  The only thing I did "wrong" was I did this technique on my glass media mat instead of on my non-stick mat.  When you add water to the ink on the glass mat it doesn't give you the same look (it becomes too fluid).  But it came out ok anyway.  I smooshed some green and yellow oxide inks on the mat and spritzed it with water then dragged the watercolor paper through it.  I heat set it then dabbed the paper in the ink again to get more layers.  I did this two or three more times to get the look I wanted.  I die cut the detailed layer from the watercolor paper and the base layer from green cardstock and adhered them together.  The main panel was stencil with a tiny dots stencil and yellow ink.  I really wanted this to be a birthday card (because I need them!), but I couldn't find a sentiment to fit in that space and settled on this one.  It works for me!  I finished the card by spritzing the leaves with shimmer and adding the crystals.
 
I'm entering this into the new challenge blog called Color Hues.  It's a color challenge that was created by none other than our own Just Us Girls design team member Nancy!  Check it out...it looks like it's going to be a fun challenge!
 
You can see more from the JUGs design team and our new guest for September, Lindsey, on the JUGs blog.  Welcome to JUGs for this month Lindsey!  We are so happy to have you joining us this month!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Recipe
Stamps:  Strictly Sentiments (WP9)
Paper:  Recollections white, green, watercolor paper
Ink:  Versafine Claire, mustard seed and mowed lawn distress oxide
Accessories:  Monstera Leaf die (Honey Bee), stitched rectangle die (MFT), tiny dots stencil (SSS), crystals, shimmer spritz, craft foam 


11 comments:

Lyn said...

Love those big leaves with the spotty background looks great!

Nancy said...

Bold and beautiful! Love the little dotted background as I thought it was paper. Thanks for supporting the team and I on my new endeavor over at Color Hues! I sure appreciate it.

Julie B said...

Those luscious Swiss cheese plant leaves give this card a really tropical feel Lisa and yes the sentiment works fine!
So pleased you were inspired by the colours at Color Hues. :)

Lindsey said...

these giant leaves are gorgeous! And the teeny dotted background provides the perfect contrast. Thanks for the warm welcome - and for playing along with us over at Color Hues!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Those leaves are gorgeous! I love how you used the DO to get this effect and that dotted background is the perfect backdrop for them.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Great use of the smooshing for your leaves -- turned out gorgeous

Bobby said...

Those gigantic leaves work great with the smooshing technique, Lisa, and the polka dot background is a wonderful contrast.

Macimbalo said...

Stunning leaves - love your card!!!

cm said...

Ohhhh...crushing over those big, lovely leaves! And how wonderful that you shared it over at The Colour Hues challenge! Thank you for joining us!
hugs~carol

Ina G said...

What big bold colourful leaves Lisa. Perfect background too.

Hannelie said...

Hi Lisa!
Thank you so much for joining our first Color Hues Challenge!
Yellow and green looks fabulous on those monstera leaves... Love the smooshing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin