Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sew Happy!

I'm "sew happy" that I cut up this set and about 20 others that I've had for a very long time. On Sunday, my DH and I took my mom to our cabin in the country. I took the Sunday paper, a new People magazine, and some of my new uncut and unmounted stamps. I did about four sets there while we were sitting on the porch watching my DH work! On Monday, I decided to do the rest of them. I did not realize that I had that many! I have blisters on my fingers (Ringo Starr says that at the end of one of the Beatles songs!) from cutting all of them! It literally took hours to do. Never again will I leave them uncut. I promised myself I would cut and mount them as soon as I get them. With SU's new stamps, it will be easy because they will already be die cut!

Anyway, onto this card. One of the teachers on my 5th grade team retired this year. Carol will be greatly missed by all of us! She is very crafty, and one of her passions is sewing. She altered all the wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses of our staff and their families, along with other miscellaneous alterations. I purchased this set, Happy Re-turns, from Gina K designs because of the sewing machine image! I started out with today's color challenge CC174 which was groovy guava, barely banana, and chocolate chip. It took a while to figure out which combination I was going to use and changed along the way. I stamped the image in black on the banana and colored it with my white Prismacolor pencil and accented parts with a silver pen. I got the idea for this card from this card by Julie Koerber. I couldn't find my container of old buttons (I found it after I finished the card, of course!), so I used prima flowers. I just happened to have the right colors, and I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to use more of them, so it worked out. The centers of the flowers are something I picked up at Michael's called "Bangle Bling". They were with the jewelry making items and were on sale. They sort of looked like buttons to me. I attached them with a mini glue dot. I said before that this card changed along the way...I was originally going to use the opposite side of the dp (it has lines that look like stiches). But when I decided to use this diamond cuttlebug folder, I had to use the argyle side of the dp to match! The last thing I did was color in the spool of thread on the sewing machine with a blender pen and the ink from the lid. I colored outside the lines on one side. It seems I always do something at the end to mess something up! Oh well, please ignore that mess! I'm not 100% in love with this card. I was very restricted because of the colors, but I think it came out ok. It really does look better IRL (don't they all?). Well, thanks for stopping by and let me know what you think.
Recipe
Stamps: Happy Re-turns
Paper: Barely banana, groovy guava, chocolate chip, chocolate chip dp
Ink: Adirondack pitch black
Accessories: Mavy oval scallop punches, ribbon, prima flowers, bling, glue dots, dimensionals, Prismacolor pencils, silver pen, cuttlebug folder, decorative scissors, daubers for sponging

4 comments:

ohradiogirl said...

Very nice card. I like all of the details.

Julie Koerber said...

Wow Lisa! I love your take on the card! It completely rocks!!! I'm so glad you directed me to your site!!! You are one talented one!!

Curt in Indy said...

I love your work! Such great stuff! I also LOVE that picture of the puppy! How adorable! Best, Curt

LeAnne said...

I love this! This set is on my wish list....someday!!
LeAnne

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin