Saturday, May 2, 2020

Just Us Girls #534 - Word Week

Hi friends!  This week Just Us Girls is honoring our Heroes with our Word Week challenge.
Who is your hero during this difficult time?  Health care worker, grocery store clerk, transportation workers, etc.  There are so many out there working so we can stay home.
 
My heroes are my two nieces who just happen to be nurses.  My older niece has been travelling from Buffalo, NY to Staten Island, NY a few days a week to help health care workers there in addition to working her regular nurse's job.  My younger niece just started her nursing career at the end of March, and found out two weeks ago that she contracted the virus, probably from working, although we aren't sure.  She is fine and had mild symptoms.  As of yesterday, she was back at work.
 
So I made two of these cards to give to each of them.  I started by using the free digital image Call the Shots from MFT.  It was so generous of them to release four of their Birdie Brown sets for free.  You can find them on their blog (for some reason I had trouble linking it).  I printed out the digital set and colored the nurse image.  I die cut it with a stitched rectangle die and also die cut the sentiment using a sentiment label die.  I cut the ends into flags.  I used a new pattern paper from Waffle Flower which I die cut with another stitched rectangle die.  These were adhered to the pattern paper base with craft foam.  The nurse is shimmered up a bit for some sparkle along with some crystals in the background. 
 
You can see more from our JUGs design team and our new guest for May, Deborah Frings, on the
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Recipe
Stamps:  Call the Shots digital (MFT)
Paper:  Recollections white, X-Press It, JJ's Rainbow (Waffle Flower)
Ink:  Copic markers
Accessories:  Stitched rectangle dies (MFT), sentiment label die (SSS), white gel pen, crystals, shimmer, craft foam 


8 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

This is beautiful. I love the rainbow background and your nurse is so beautifully coloured. Thank you for inviting me to join you as GD this month, I am thrilled to bits. Deborah xx

Nancy said...

I am so happy to hear that your niece got through Covid very well. The rainbow background is so pretty and perfect to brighten anyone's day much less a nurse. They are going to love your thoughtfulness and the added sparkle too! Great card as usual! It wasn't linked up but I took care of that for you. I didn't want anyone to miss coming by for a better look.

cm said...

Wonderful news that your niece has recovered; scary times when she was first diagnosed, I'm sure! I absolutely adore the cards you've created for your two niece nurses! The rainbow is a perfect background; a sign of hope! Love this!
hugs~carol

Ina G said...

Gorgeous card Lisa. What great news that your niece has recovered quickly. My granddaughter is in her final year of study and is about to go back part time in Aged Care. There are so many super heroes in all walks of life out there and we are all forever thankful for them.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Say Thank You to your nieces please! Meanwhile, awesome card. I love it with the rainbow

Macimbalo said...

So glad your niece is better and how wonderful that you have family heroes! I love your card and that image so much!!! Your design is perfection!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Kudos to both of your nieces for their dedication! Glad your niece is better and back to work. I love your design on this and what a great way to honor both nieces!

Bobby said...

I love that rainbow behind your nurse, Lisa. I know your nieces will appreciate your thoughtfulness. I'm so glad the one has recovered.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin