Sunday, October 5, 2008

Karen Lockhart Class


Before I show you what we did in the Karen Lockhart class I took at my LSS, Buffalo Stamps & Stuff, I have to show you the cutest picture of my little Lizzie. My husband has a pretty extensive garden in the summer and also grows pumpkins for the kids. He picked them today and had them in the wheelbarrow in the back yard. I'm always showing him cute pictures of animals, kids, and gardens that all of you post on your blogs, and he suggested we take a picture of Lizzie in front of the wheelbarrow of pumpkins and post it on my blog! I ran for the camera and we had Lizzie pose for this adorable picture. She wasn't bred as a show dog, but she sure thinks she is when she poses for the camera! Oh, and look at hubby's pumpkins...aren't they wonderful? After I took the picture, I thought we should have washed the dirt off of them! Oh well! On to the Karen Lockhart class.

You are probably wondering what the heck kind of card is that? Well it's not a card, it's my scratch sheet of coloring that Karen had us do. She uses Prismacolor pencils for all her images and is a pro at it! She showed us how we can see the range of color we can get with each pencil. We used the same pressure to get the color on the paper, but to get the darker colors we went over the same line more times and lightened it up as we created these "tornadoes" as she called them. We practiced this with the images she provided for us.

This is the first one we colored. I had a hard time getting the yellow to shade properly. I wanted more shading on the criss-cross design as well. She provided the patterned paper and cardstock and I put this together tonight. I had a really difficult time pulling this card together. It just needed something, and I'm not sure the snowflake is it, but it seemed to work. The sentiment is from SU's Home for Christmas, which can be found in the Holiday Mini Catalog.


This is the next image we colored. I really like this tree. It didn't take long to color, so it would be an easy image to mass produce. I used these prima poinsettia flowers I got at Michael's and a Martha Stewart fern punch using SU's garden green paper. The sentiment is from PTI's Believe and is stamped in real red. I used a glitter dot in the center of the flower. Funny story about this card...when I had it all put together, I realized I did it upside down on the card! How many of you have done THAT before? I had to cut it down and layered it on PTI's shimmer cardstock! Boy, does that stuff shine! So pretty!

This is the last one and the one that gave me the most trouble! I needed to have her card in front of me as a guide, and the other side of the table kept taking it! I guess they needed it more than me! I do like it more than I did that night, but I wish I would have colored the leaves more green. Karen's had some red and brown in them and mine just came out muddy-looking. I do like the way it looks all mounted and dressed up, though. I used PTI's First Fruits for the sentiment, primas, and dew drops.

Well, that's all folks! I enjoyed the class and wish I could have had Karen give me more one-on-one time, but I guess so did everyone else! Thanks for stopping by today!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Your pieces turned out beautifully - I think you stamperitis (being your own worst critic!). They're just gorgeous, and I LOVE how you put them together.

Cheryl said...

Great blog post, Lisa! Love the picture of Lizzie with the pumpkin harvest! (Way to go, Kevin!)
Great cards from your class and the "tornado" technique is very interesting!

LeAnne said...

I couldn't wait to hear how you did at the class....I think your creations are beautiful! The more you do it the more you'll enjoy it and your creations will just be flowing and glowing! Can't wait to see some more!
Love your pumpkins & puppy!
LeAnne

Anonymous said...

Your cards are wonderful Lisa. Gorgeous coloring technique and what a fantastic way to learn to do it.
Your puppy is adorable and the pumpkins are amazing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin