Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all of you hard-working moms out there!  I have a mom and a mother-in-law that I painstakingly made cards for last night.  They took a long time to make, but I was having fun and it was for a good occasion!

I'm taking the Online Card Classes Watercolor for Card Makers class, and I watched a video by my favorite stamper, Jennifer McGuire.  So I of course had to try her technique!
 In her video, she embossed her image with white embossing powder.  On my first card I, of course, forgot to do that and stamped it in black Archival ink.  I was not happy with the result  until I finished the entire thing.  I almost tossed it, but with watercoloring you can play around with the colors even after it's dried.  That's what I did here.  I didn't give up.  I colored the image with Distress markers in fired brick and spun sugar for the flowers and mowed lawn and forest moss (?) for the leaves.  I didn't like the way the leaves came out at first (too muddy-looking), but they look fine after a while.  I added some blue in the background with tumbled glass.  This actually wasn't my favorite of the two, but looking at it now, I like it so much more!

Here is my second attempt, the way Jennifer did it.  I like it much better in person.  It really is so much prettier than how the camera captured it.  I embossed this one in white embossing powder.  It was actually easier to color embossed.  Here I used spun sugar and picked raspberry for the flowers and just mowed lawn for the leaves.  I like the leaves better in this one.  Again, the background was colored with tumbled glass, but I think I used too much color.   I finished both off with some banners, the sentiment, pearls, and some Wink of Stella shimmer which you cannot see in the picture.

I hope you have a great day with your families.  We are off to our cabin for the day.  It's supposed to be in the 70s and sunny today, something we so desperately need!
Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe
Stamps:  Year of Flowers: Sweet Pea (PTI), Motherly Love (Flourishes)
Paper:  Neenah white, Tim Holtz watercolor paper, certainly celery, pink pirouette, retired SU dp
Ink:  Versamark, Archival black, Versafine onyx black, Distress markers:  picked raspberry, spun sugar, fired brick, mowed lawn, forest moss, tumbled glass
Accessories:  Spellbinder's die, pearls, white embossing powder, dimensionals

Photobucket

12 comments:

Hannelie said...

Lisa this is so beautiful! You really did a great job with the water coloring!
They will love it!

Bridget said...

Both of these are so beautifully done, I like the intensity of the colour which you've achieved - I LOVE the sweat pea image, so, so pretty!

Lynn said...

Oh my goodness...these are absolutely stunning Lisa. I'm sure they are going to be cherished by your mom and mother-in-law.

Jean said...

These are both gorgeous! Very different look with the same stamp, which is a perfect choice, by the way!

Gerrina said...

They look great both, but the green on the second gives that one more"body", that's my favorite... Hugs, Gerrina

Linda said...

Both cards are so pretty. Great job.

craftytreen said...

both of those cards are drop dead gorgeous. they really photographed well. so professional!

Anonymous said...

Really nice job on both watercolored cards! They are as beautiful as your mom and mom-in-law!
Hope you had a great day! Finally, we can't complain about the weather!

Scrapthat said...

They're Awesome!! TFS

Nancy said...

OMG! You should have an A++++ for your class ...these are beautiful and to think you almost tossed the first one! Soooo impressed Lisa!

sandie said...

wow Lisa, so glad you didn't toss these, they are just fabulous! You are learning so much in the class and your creations are just wonderful x

Dawn @ LilyPinkScraps said...

Amazing how different the 2 cards look but both are very pretty and I'd be hard-pushed to say which one I prefer - both fabulous :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin