Monday, August 31, 2009

Paper Makeup Stamps Monday Challenge

Hi everyone! It's been a few days since I've posted something here. I was busy this weekend. On Saturday I went to the Stamp Scrap Art Tour show that came to our local county fairgrounds. I went with my friends Cheryl Rowley and Tracy Harp. We had fun browsing all the booths, doing some make-and-takes, seeing some old friends, and meeting some new ones. We met Jane Wetzel who was there with Our Daily Bread Designs doing a make-and-take. It turns out she is on the Copic Creations DT with Cheryl Rowley! It was fun for the two "cyber friends" to finally meet! And one of the girls from my SU club, Judith Starks, won $250 in gift certificates to spend at the event! Congrats Judith! I bought some stamps and tonic scissors from Tim Holtz that are FABULOUS! They cut through the rubber and EZ-Mount like butter! Literally!

So today is Monday and it's
Paper Makeup Stamps Monday challenge. Today we have an inspiration from Shaela Odd and she chose this fabulous website called Carrie's Cakes that is full of wedding cakes for our inspiration. I love wedding cakes! I used to make them for about five years or so. I had my own little cake business. I'll have to share some of those pictures someday. (You can see one I made last year for my nephew's wedding here.) I loved making them, so this inspiration was fun for me! I chose this cake called Noelle.


Isn't it a beautiful cake? I love the square shape...very contemporary for a wedding cake, and I also love the monochromatic look and, of course, that fantastic bow! So this is what I came up with for my card. It's sort of an aerial view of the cake, since I couldn't get the 3-D effect with a card. I used the two flourishes from Dream Big by PMS stamped in So Saffron. It gave me the monochromatic look I needed. The top part of the cake has swiss dots on it, so that is what I did with my final layer. The bow is also So Saffron in a grosgrain pattern. The Congratulations sentiment (also from PMS) was stamped in So Saffron and cut and embossed with a die. I added the pearls in the corners and on the sentiment even though there weren't any in the inspiration piece. It just fancied it up a bit. I had to go to a wedding this past Friday, and bought a card because I didn't have time to make one! This would have been perfect! Her girls were dressed in a champagne color. That'll teach me to not have one on hand! LOL!

You should stop by the PMS blog and see what the other DT has done with this inspiration. Outstanding cards once again! You should also stop by their blogs to see what cake they chose to use as their inspiration! (Their names are listed on my sidebar...just click on their names to get to their blogs.) It's fun to see what someone has taken away from an inspiration piece! I love these challenges! Thanks Shaela!

Well, thanks again for stopping by today! There's lots going on this week...tomorrow is the Artful INKables Think Ink Tuesday challenge and Wednesday begins the sneaks for Paper Makeup Stamps September release! Some fun and different images coming, so make sure you check it out! Have a great week!
Recipe
Stamps: Dream Big and sentiment (PMS)

Paper: PTI vintage cream, So Saffron (SU)
Ink: So Saffron
Accessories: So Saffron grosgrain ribbon, pearls, die, dimensionals


8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Beatufil card, Lisa! I love the rich yellow! Your layers are terrific as is the bow!
Cheryl
p.s. I think I DO need those long thin dies!

Shaela said...

gorgeous card, I love your take on the challenge! and what a pretty cake you made for your nephew's wedding. :) I wanted this gorgeous wedding dress I found that was white with a big crimson sash and crimson pearls but I couldn't get it. :( But I loved her shoes!

Crystal said...

WOW Lisa this is beautiful, love the colors, texture, and layout..beautiful card!

Lisa Brown said...

This card is gorgeous! Love the ribbon as the focal point!

Silke Ledlow said...

Lisa - this is simply beautiful and elegant!!! You nailed it - GF!!! Hugs ~S~

Katie Cotton said...

this is stunning! I love the ribbon detail!

Sue said...

Lisa, love your card. Simply elegant! What a beautiful cake you took your inspiration from. Your cards and projects are always beautiful. Wish I could have met you in person at the Stamp show too. Maybe we will run into each other in the store sometime!

Sue said...

Lisa, love your card. Simply elegant! What a beautiful cake you took your inspiration from. Your cards and projects are always beautiful. Wish I could have met you in person at the Stamp show too. Maybe we will run into each other in the store sometime!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin