Saturday, February 16, 2008

Birch, Bark, & Birds Inspiration

Today's Inspiration Challenge IC115 was this great painting by an artist named Charley Harper. His work was featured on the CBS Sunday Morning show. This is a great show, especially the last 5 minutes. They always film something from nature and show it without any voice-overs. It's really great. My husband and I always turn it on just for those last few minutes! Anyway, Todd Oldham wrote a book about this man and it was featured on Sunday Morning. Harper's work is very contemporary with clean lines and very abstract images. This is the one Stephanie chose for the inspiration:First of all, I love these colors! I'm always drawn to blues, brown, and black. I always have been. I had a brown bedroom when I lived at home and have a brown bathroom in my own home now. I wanted to keep my card simple with straight lines. The only paper I had like that was this striped piece from Au Chocolate. But, it had no black, which is what I needed. So idea! I took my copic black marker and filled in the narrow vanilla stripes with black! It did the trick and was the look I was going for! The bird, from SU's Natural Beauty (retired) was colored with a blue copic marker and I left some white on him like the ones in the piece. I layered him on some gray because I saw gray in the inspiration, and then I used my basic gray taffeta ribbon and some black and brown scraps of ribbon to tie the bow. I was going to run the ribbon horizontally, but the inspiration piece had some vertical stripes, so I tied it that way. The image is on dimensionals. I probably never would have made a card like this, but that is what these challenges are for...to stretch your imagination and further your creativity. ~TFL!~

Recipe

Stamps: Natural Beauty

Paper: Chocolate Chip, Black, Going Gray, Very Vanilla, Au Chocolate

Ink: Adirondack Pitch Black

Accessories: copic markers, taffeta ribbon, dimensionals

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin