Saturday, August 14, 2010

Just Us Girls #46 - Wild Wild West!

Hi JUGs fans! Today we have a very special challenge for you. It's technique week, so we've chosen a "theme" instead of a technique. We are challenging you to make a card/project with the Wild Wild West theme. Why, you ask? Well our fellow DT member, Alicia Weiman, is hosting a rodeo in the memory of her son, Ethan, who passed away last year from neuroblastoma cancer, and her family is doing this rodeo as a fundraiser for research for a cure. Ethan was a little cowboy, hence the rodeo. Here is a link to Ethan's Rodeo for more information. (I found that you can donate tickets if you can't attend the rodeo...they only cost $10 and for each ticket you purchase, one will be donated to a child with cancer or an accompanying adult. I just bought two!)

I used a digi image that was created as a charity stamp in Ethan's honor for my card. I just love this image, and I made it a birthday card for my nephew, also Ethan, who will be 6 years old this month. I used the SU western paper (retired and I don't remember the name right now) as my starting point along with the current Mojo Monday sketch. He's colored with the new technique I learned last week at a class at my LSS, Buffalo Stamps & Stuff. I colored him with copics, then went over it a bit with prisma pencils and gamasol. It adds a richness and smooths out the lines from the copics. (It works great on reds...I have such trouble blending the reds!) The sentiment is from Paper Makeup Stamps set called Birthday Cheer. Here is what the inside looks like.
I think the sentiment is from Wordsworth. I've had it for years and it sort of fit with the theme.

Here are links to the digi stamps that were created by Pink Cat Studios: Cowboy Billy, Cowboy Lilly, and Sweet Pea Cowpoke.
JUGs is welcoming the fabulous Theresa Momber as a special guest designer this week. She has generously donated one of her sets from Gina K Designs called Out West to one lucky winner, too! Thanks Theresa!
Wow! Lots of information here...but all good stuff! Check out the JUGs blog for more information and inspiration from the JUGS DT, Guest Designer Jo Westfoot, and Special Guest Theresa Momber! Yeehaw! (I had to do that!)

Also, I want to wish one of our fabulous DT coordinators, Pam Imholz, a very Happy Birthday on Monday! She does so much to make our challenges run smoothly and is a great person! So I made this card for last week's JUGs sketch challenge just for her (and kept it a secret, but forgot to send it...whoops! It'll be in the mail today!) Happy Birthday Pam! Enjoy your day!
You can see the details of this Paper Makeup Stamps card here. Thanks for stopping by!
Photobucket

12 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

BOTH of these cards are so wonderful Lisa! I love the lil' cowboy themed card - you did such a great job coloring that sweet image & used one of my all time fave SU DP's! Pam's card is so pretty & I am sure she will treasure this :)

AKiteFlier said...

Ahhhhhh Lisa - thank you for the beautiful BD card. What a great surprise!! I love it - did not even think about it but it's so thoughtful and means a lot to me. THANKS! As for your WWW card - GORGEOUS - I love the color palette you chose and your coloring of cowboy Ethan is perfect! Thanks for the tip on the coloring - I do sometimes get a few lines with my copics though not very often - good to know about the tip with gamasol and pencils! Thanks for a fabulous contribution to the JUGS challenge and for my sweet and lovely BD card. We must try face time with our iphones too!

Theresa Momber said...

Lisa, I always love seeing your gorgeous coloring! You made that cowboy card look adorable and gorgeous at the same time. Love every detail! What a beautiful birthday card for Pam!

Maria said...

Oh so fabulous! Gotta love the cowboy images great coloring! And what a fabulous birthday card!

Shaela said...

these are both adorable!! We're having a cowboy-themed birthday party for my son next month and I'm using for the PCS stamps for the invites... so cute!

Silke Ledlow said...

Lisa, your card for Ethan is super duper adorable & mojolicious!!! Your birthday card for Pam is so beautiful!!! Your guys pulled it off perfectly!!! Hugs ~S~

Kathryn B said...

Hi Lisa! I just love your wild west card! Your image is colored to perfection and your paper choices are fab as usual!
I just love Pam's Birthday card...you did such a fab job using last weeks sketch! You rocked it!!!

Andrea M said...

Gorgeous card Lisa!!! Your coloring is fantastic and I LOVE the color palate! No wonder Pam loved her Birthday card - it is fabulous and so, so pretty! Love the gingham ribbon! What amazing inspiration!

Dana Gustafson said...

Lisa! These are wonderful! The Cowboy Ethan card is so cute with the great pops of turquoise and Pam's birthday card is so PRETTY! I love that line of DP and you used it brilliantly!

Jo said...

Hi Lisa
I love this card! I have Cowgirl Lily!! Love the colour combo you've used! It's perfect!

Cheryl said...

Great little cowboy card! The Ethan rodeo is a great idea! I hope that family is doing okay after such a loss.
Once again, a card I made fits the JUGS! Who's psychic JUGS or me?

Elise said...

Yowza! Lisa! This is ONE fabulous card! YUMMMMMY! {I LOVE that paper collection - still mourning it's retirement!} This card makes me happy on SO many levels! Thanks for perpetuating SUCH a wonderful challenge and, in particular, this week's EXCELLENT theme! YEE HAW!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin